One of the most popular Lhasa Valley treks, this follows the ancient pilgrimage route that linked Tibet’s first monastery, Samye, with the Holy City of Lhasa. Taking seven to nine days, this trek crosses a 5000 metre pass and starts in the Gyama Valley, the birthplace of Songtsen Gampo, Tibet’s most famous emperor. The trek ends at Samye, where time can be spent exploring the meditation caves and the eighth century monastery.
- Day 1: Fly over the Himalaya to Gonggar airport, drive to Lhasa (12,000')
- Day 2-3-4: Sightseeing in Lhasa: The Potala and Norbulingka Palaces,Jokhang Temple, a nunnery, Drepung Monastery, and time to stroll the Barkor. Tibetan dinner with friends. Overnight Shambhala Hotel.
- Day 5: Drive to Ganden Monastery: Circumambulate its kora and visit restored temples. Enjoy a picnic overlooking the stark landscape. Camp at nearby Gyama Valley, 13,000'
- Day 6: Begin the trek, considered "one of central Tibet's finest moderate treks" (McCue, Trekking in Tibet). Ascend through pastures where yak herders camp in yak wool tents. Camp beneath the stars at 14,400'
- Day 7: Continue gradually, hiking through fragrant dwarf rhododendron and juniper. Magnificent views unfold. Camp close to 15,800'.
- Day 8: Cross Tseb La and Kampa La ("la" means pass) and descend through a series of meadows where nomadic herders camp. (14,000')
- Day 9: End Trek at Samye: Descend through vales of flowers and rushing streams. Visit meditation caves. Cross the dry plains to Samye, its chortens gleaming from a distance. Overnight in guesthouse.
- Day 10: Samye Monastery: Visit monastery compound. Drive to Yarlung Valley, "Valley of the Kings" and Yumbulakhang, the oldest building in Tibet. Overnight in hotel in Tsetang or near airport.
- Day 11: Early morning flight to Kathmandu: Free time in Kathmandu.
- Day 12: Fly Kathmandu to your destination.
- 4 night 3 stars hotel in Kathmandu
- Kathmandu to Lhasa flight
- Visa fee for Tibet
- All land transportation
- Hotel accommodations with 3 meals a day
- Entrance fee, service of guide, yaks and yak keeper
- Necessary permits on trek
- Camping equipment (2 men tent, mattress dinning tent, kitchen tent, toilets tent, tables & chairs)
- Guide, cook, porters wages and insurance
- Transportation from boarder to Kathmandu
- Visa fee for Nepal
- Entrance fees during KTM singhtseeing
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Tips, alcoholic beverages, long distance charges, etc.
- Airport departure taxes
- International airfare
- Meals and accommodations in Kathmandu
Dates & Prices
Jun & July